The Embassy of the Russian Federation in Kenya has refuted claims that it has been involved in recruiting Kenyan citizens to participate in the conflict in Ukraine.

In a statement released on Thursday, the embassy described reports in the media and public space as “dangerous and misleading,” noting that some Kenyan citizens had travelled to Russia and joined its Armed Forces voluntarily.

“The Government authorities of Russia have never engaged in illegal recruitment of Kenyan citizens,” the statement said.

“At no point has the embassy issued visas to Kenyans to participate in military operations in Ukraine, nor has it encouraged any citizen to do so.”

The embassy emphasised that Russian law allows foreign citizens who are legally in Russia to voluntarily enlist in its armed forces.

It denied any collusion with individuals or entities to coerce or lure Kenyans into joining the conflict.

The statement also highlighted ongoing communication between Russian and Kenyan authorities, noting that both sides have been discussing bilateral agreements and protocols on matters including labour migration, travel arrangements, and coordination between law enforcement agencies.

The embassy said it remained open to a “constructive and depoliticised dialogue” with the Kenyan government to address legitimate concerns and formalise cooperation.

The statement comes hours after families of Kenyans reportedly recruited into the Russian military appealed to the government for urgent intervention, citing claims of trafficking, deception, and forced combat deployment.

Speaking during a media briefing at Jeevanjee Gardens, Nairobi, on Thursday, Peter Kamau, whose brother is among those recruited, said families are living in distress, with some having gone more than four months without hearing from their loved ones.

“These are the relatives of our sons and brothers held in Russia, or rather recruited into the Russian military. Many of these people here have not spoken to their children for over four months now. This leaves us with lots of questions about their welfare. How are they? Could they have been killed? Could they be in Ukrainian prisons?” he said.

However, he clarified that the petitions have not yet been presented because the planned procession to deliver them was blocked after police declined to grant clearance.

“We had met here to do a procession to the Russian embassy and also to the government offices so that we could present the petitions. Unfortunately, due to technical and legal issues, we have not gotten clearance from the police, so we cannot proceed,” he said.

According to Kamau, families want Parliament and the government to intensify diplomatic engagement, provide consular support, and fast-track repatriation of affected Kenyans.

Their demands follow revelations in Parliament by Majority Leader Kimani Ichung’wah that intelligence reports had identified rogue recruitment networks allegedly luring Kenyans with promises of lucrative jobs, only to channel them into military service.

Ichung’wah told lawmakers that more than 1,000 Kenyans had been recruited through the network, with some deployed to the frontlines and others hospitalised, detained, or missing.

Published Date: 2026-02-19 23:17:05
Author: by STAR REPORTER
Source: The Star
Leave A Reply

Exit mobile version